GABA Complex Calming 60 caps
What is the GABA supplement?
GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a naturally occurring amino acid and has been known to balance brain chemistry. GABA is the most important inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. It acts like a “brake” during times of runaway stress.
Oral GABA supplementation can also act directly on the CNS (Central Nervous System) in a peripheral aspect through the gut. There is definitely a gut-brain relationship between nutrition and the gut microbiome and how the gut supports brain health and function. The gut and brain communicate through the nervous system, immune system, and hormones.
GABA can work directly on the hypothalamus (emotional neuroendocrine control centre of the brain) and affect the CNS.
Taking L-Theanine simultaneously with GABA is often recommended for improved efficacy. L-Theanine is involved with GABA synthesis. L-Theanine passes through the blood brain barrier. L-Theanine is believed to support the brain and body in coping with stress and anxiety outside of its ability to up-regulate the production of GABA.
- GABA has been known to alleviate anxiety, fear, worry, panic attacks, and general feelings of being overwhelmed and stressed.
- Depression and insomnia which often co-occur with anxiety have also been helped.
- GABA has also been shown to be helpful in addressing sugar cravings and addictions.
- Either low GABA levels or decreased GABA function in the brain can be alleviated with supplementation to balance brain chemistry.
- Some individuals tapering from benzodiazepines find using GABA and other nutrients helpful. This is a personalized response. Medications for anxiety, such as benzodiazepines, stimulate GABA receptors and induce relaxation.
- In some instances the combination of GABA and 5-HTP (5-OH-Tryptophan) improved sleep duration more than the use of either of the two amino acids alone. Personalized application is needed.
- GABA 225 mg
- Inositol 125 mg
- Taurine 100 mg
- Magnesium chelate 15 mg
- Vitamin B-6 5 mg
- Zinc gluconate 1 mg
- Manganese 0.5mg
Dosage and directions for use:
Initially take 1 – 2 caps on retiring. If needed then increase to 1 to 3 times during the day.
Is GABA harmful?
No. It will either improve overall wellbeing or in some individuals positive effects are not noticed.
It’s not associated with any withdrawal, tolerance, or habituation.
GABA and co-factors
Assists in calming the brain
This medicine has not been evaluated by SAHPRA. This medicine is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent disease.