Sally T. D-Ribose
D-Ribose a naturally occurring sugar (monosaccharide -5-carbon sugar) in the body and is regularly produced by different cells in tissues of the liver, adrenal glands, and fat. Its production is locked into the immediate cells and cannot be shared with other tissue cells. It is produced in that cell for that cell only.
By adding D-Ribose as a supplement, ATP (adenosine triphosphate) energy manufacture is enhanced in the manufacturing cells, preventing fatigue and weak functioning. This in turn, should help increase performance and bodily functions.
Tissues that mostly rely on aerobic energy metabolism such as the heart and muscles are affected by energy drain (ATP drain) – which means they are severely affected by any amount of energy deprivation. D-Ribose supplementation can be the solution to this lack of energy. The energy can be restored sometimes in a few hours. If there is oxygen starvation in skeletal or heart muscles, energy levels and heart function return to normal more quickly.
How it works:
Our bodies function on cellular energy. Like a car needs petrol, we need energy to perform and function effectively. This energy is generated in our cells by an organelle called the mitochondria. Mitochondria are among the most important organelles in cells. Producing 99% of energy (ATP) they are known as the cellular powerhouses for cellular energy production. D-Ribose is essential for this functionality. The decrease in cellular energy production is directly related to the supply of D-ribose in the mitochondria.
Supplementing with D-Ribose has been shown to improve cellular energy production.
D-Ribose enhances cellular energy production by increasing ATP regeneration – the energy powerhouse, which reduces fatigue and weakness. D-Ribose can have positive benefits for athletes, chronic fatigue, adrenal fatigue, and cardiac weakness. The most common and bio-available form is the powder form. It is easily absorbed by the body as about 97% gets through.
Patients with low energy state such as adrenal fatigue, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue, as well as those with arterial and heart disease who chronically have difficulty delivering oxygen to their tissues need to take a higher dosage – and they must take it regularly. Missing one or two days may have a negative impact and will show up as recurring weakness and fatigue. This energy generating capacity in our cells declines as we age and is also seen in many pathological conditions. Without sufficient energy, cells cannot maintain integrity and function. Mitochondrial dysfunction can produce extreme fatigue and other symptoms that are common complaints among people.
Co-factors such as L-Carnitine, Co-Enzyme Q10, and Alpha Lipoic acid, all of which enhances energy production, should be included as part of the regiment as they synergistically help D-Ribose in its energy generating pathway.
Who should use it?
Studies show that D-Ribose supplementation reduces the energy drain experienced without having any negative effect or impact on the action of common heart drugs. Positive effects have been shown when recovering from heart surgery & heart attacks, waiting for heart transplants. Chronically fatigued, fibromyalgia, adrenal fatigue, and chronic fatigue syndrome: With these conditions there is a constant state of energy depletion. A person is fatigued and weak. D-Ribose can assist in restoring energy.
How much D-Ribose do you really need? And what exactly do you want the supplement to do for you?
- There is no standard recommended dosage of D-Ribose.
- Based on scientific studies, alternative health practitioners recommend between 2.5 grams (1 level 5ml teaspoon) and 30 grams a day to support chronic health conditions.
- It is very important to take this nutrient along with food, as reactive hypoglycemia (blood sugar dive) may result if taken on empty stomach.
- Athletes: In general, as a workout enhancer, 5 ml a day is the common dose which can be increased to 15mls depending on performance.
- Fatigued adults: Take one 5ml teaspoon mixed into 250ml water, one to three times daily, with meals.
- Heart Disease: Use under medical supervision
- Heart or peripheral disease: Start at the lowest dose of 1 teaspoon per day with a meal and increase dose if needed.
Side effects and precautions:
- Keep out of reach of children.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, taking medication or have a medical condition, consult your healthcare practitioner before use.
- When not taken with meals, it can cause some side effects including diarrhoea, stomach discomfort, nausea, headache, and low blood sugar.
- Because it can lower blood sugar, caution is advised for diabetics
- It is not recommended for diabetics who are on medications that lower their blood sugars.
- D-Ribose is generally considered safe for short-term use.
- There is not enough reliable information to know if Ribose is safe to use for longer than 3 weeks.
- If renal dysfunction is present, check with your medical practitioner for long term use.
D-Ribose Powder (1.5 tsp) contains 3.3g of carbohydrates, 0g of protein, 0g of fat, and 13.3 calories. Easy to digest & absorb, dairy-free & gluten-free, sodium-free, suitable for vegans and vegetarians. Kosher, no artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners added.
This medicine has not been evaluated by SAHPRA. This medicine is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent disease.